And you're still using Google Reader?

When in March of this year it became known about closing of Google Reader, I think many rushed to explore similar third-party services. And I was no exception. Some inquiries in different services I have not found what you would have liked me personally, and happily continued to use Google Reader. But the time is inevitably approaching and X is already less than two months prior to the closing of the service, so I again decided to look for an alternative. This time I decided to try different open source solutions and to raise rss-reader on your server for myself and my friends. After reviewing this question I came across "Tiny Tiny RSS" which, by the way, appreciated Habra.

It is so nice that I stopped to go to Google Reader. And I came up with the idea, but why not open registration to all comers?

So, meet tinyrss.ru

In Tiny Tiny RSS is the ability to import OPML (this is done in the Actions menu -> Settings -> Channels -> OPML). My hundreds of feeds imported without any problems. There are also hotkeys, same as Google Reader and visually the interface is very similar. There are Android client and extension for Chrome. It looks like this:



After giving the idea to your friends I heard three questions, which are likely to get asked abrowser. Just answer these:

hosting service?
The service is hosted on a dedicated server rented from Hetzner. This is the same server I keep some of my projects at work. Server specifications Intel Core i7 X980, 24GB RAM, 2x300 GB SAS (RAID 1).

are Not afraid of garraffello?
Well, firstly, I don't think that topic will cause a big stir. Secondly, I have written above server features and in my opinion they are sufficient to pull gebrettert. In any case, interesting to see how the server under load :)

Where is the guarantee that the service will close in a month?
You are right, there is no guarantee. But I plan to actively use the service, and given that I use Google Reader for 5 years, tinyrss.ru plan to use at least as much as, as long as no more convenient tool.

But of course only you can decide to use this service or not. So, I repeat tinyrss.ru

UPD. some statistics. For three hours we registered almost 1000 people! Now the flow subsided, but continued to record several people in a minute. Looked on the website more than 4 thousand people.

UPD2. In connection with garoeffilla not everyone got letters with passwords. You can re-request the password on the website under the link "Restore the password".

UPD3. Rush of people was so great (on may 11, there were more than 2 thousand users and recorded more than 300 concurrent connections to the service), which is almost all day yesterday(10 may) on the tools it was impossible to get. After some optimizations to the database server, the situation has been stabilized, and now the service works well. But, there is the option transfer service on separate more powerful server.

UPD4 from may 20. Moved to a separate server. Spent a long time with optimization. In the end, instead of apache I have now nginx+php-fpm. Database few days have optimized and placed it on the ssd drive. As a result, now it works fast.
Article based on information from habrahabr.ru

Комментарии

Популярные сообщения из этого блога

Monitoring PostgreSQL + php-fpm + nginx + disk using Zabbix

Templates ESKD and GOST 7.32 for Lyx 1.6.x

Customize your Google